From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:24 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Is RDi ready for prime time?

MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would concur with most of Joe's opinions. I'm fully sold on WDSc
and I'm certain I will be on RDi. However, there are functions which
fall in my responsibility as a senior analyst which I can't do in the
workbench (a generic term to make this simple). For example, at times

I produce lists of objects or source members with WRKOBJPDM. I use
these as a checklist for a project--e.g., upgrades of purchased
applications, changes in business rules, etc. WDSc (and I'm assuming
RDi) don't print lists from the table view, the RSE-tree view, iSeries

search view, etc. Until such time, I'll *need* an ADTS license to do
my job--I can't do my job without it. But I emphatically don't want
to do my development in SEU.

And you know what? Until we started talknig about getting rid of ADTS,
much of this never came to light. And if it hadn't, you'd have gone on
using both ADTS and RDi. And if you did, IBM would have to continue to
invest money in both. Personally, I'd like them to freeze development
on ADTS completely and put all their money into adding the missing
features.
I think there's no argument that editing is better in the workbench,
but the workbench hasn't replaced all the functions of
PDM--particularly the WRKxxxPDM functions. (Just to be clear, I like
some of the features of the table view or a filter better--e.g.,
member lists crossing multiple source files, etc.)

So start entering problem reports, DCRs, whatever you can in order to
get this to the attention of the developers!

Joe
--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)