Luis Colorado skrev den 05-02-2008 17:25:
Thorbjorn wrote:

Noted, good and cheap reference books are rare.
I find it somewhat a contradiction though - Struts is WAY over what could reasonably expected from a Dummy :)

Definitely... this is not a book for Dummies :)

By the way, I started looking into JSF, and I was overwhelmed by the size of it. Perhaps it was the way the author presented it, but it looked like it would take awhile to get anything productive out of it.

I also have heard that some people is avoiding JSF because its complexity. I also have heard that JSF is superior, but big organizations are already too invested in Struts. What do you think?
I'd let Craig McClanahan answer that (http://blogs.sun.com/craigmcc/date/20040927)

==

For new development, here's the best strategy for determining what to do:

* Evaluate the two technologies individually, to see if they satisfy
your requirements.
* If one or the other technology is sufficient, go ahead and use it
(it's easier to learn and use one technology rather than two where
possible); keeping in mind, however, the caveats about Struts HTML
tags mentioned above.
* If your requirements include unique features supported only by
Struts (such as Tiles or client side validation support), feel
free to use the two frameworks together

==

Personally I found that the <h:table> tag is so much better than anything in Struts (and standard) so that basically does it for me - I usually need to present lots of tabular information. The ability to switch off any component at runtime with <.... rendered="#{condition}"..> was great for our purposes.

I also found that the Tomahawk library for MyFaces allowed me to transfer parameters between logical parts in the JSF-page without needing to write lots and lots of scaffolding code.

Hope this helps.