I have done a decent amount of JSF coding (Apache MyFaces). My favorite
feature is the tying of events to methods and getters/setters to screen
controls/fields/lists/etc. With that said, JSF can get very annoying
because there are a fair amount of details needing to be maintained (i.e.
Faces-config.xml).

I am hoping EGL fixes all the complexities of JSF (EGL sits on top of JSF).
I think IBM recognized two things: 1) J2EE development has too many
complexities/flexibilities to become efficient in a short timeframe, and 2)
IBM has knowledge of what a good business language should behave like (i.e.
RPG). It appears as they are taking those two points and apply some KISS
priciples to make people productive vs. having to be technical-weenies just
to get a Java app on the web.

I have been going through tutorials of EGL in RBDe and am liking some of the
things I am seeing. I haven't been able to do a full review yet, as
everything I have worked with is fairly canned and tutorial minded.

My main concern is that IBM owns EGL right now. As I understand it, EGL is
not an open standard that will allow for continued development if IBM chose
to drop it (like they did with other ui modernization technologies). All we
can do is hope history doesn't repeat itself, though I would say this
appears to be their most promising effort to date. On this same note, I
wouldn't be surprised if IBM made an "EGL specification" and made their
software compelling based on the IDE and extensions vs. the base language.

Here's a couple threads I have found out there as it relates to EGL
alternative efforts (note the email dates are from 2005 - not real
promising):
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/gmt-dev/msg00186.html
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.gmt/msg00065.html

HTH,