Don,

What? System i shops wouldn't cheat, would they?

At least initially, the intention is for there to be no hard stop compliance
checking on the number of users; perhaps no checking at all or maybe some
kind of warning message - that detail was not clear.

I believe IBM/Rational is counting on the integrity and honesty of their
customer base to purchase the correct number of licenses based on the way
they will be using the tools and compilers. If they have placed their faith
badly, then we'll be back in the situation where they don't make enough
money to invest as much as we would like them to in the platform.

Personally, I had hoped they might think about charging per compile. Since
RSE has a verifier, it would be way cheaper to use RSE than SEU.

Of course, I suppose that does present a problem that folks compiling the
monoliths would make out better than the modern ILE modular developers.
Maybe it would need to be on lines of code compiled.

I'm sure it would be too messy and it's only a half-serious suggestion. It
just seemed to have some merit to me.

Susan Gantner