Dave Shaw wrote:
I agree with Tom. I'll happily give up SEU, SDA, and RLU, but until there's a graphical interface that provides sub-second access to thousands of objects or members without building a filter first, PDM is a very valuable tool. You don't want to know how long it takes RSE to list the handful of source files (with, as I said, thousands of members) in our production source library on a simple drill-down.
Dave, I'm wondering why you have to qualify this with "without building a filter first". Once you have a filter, access is very fast. And you only need to refresh them when someone adds a new member.

How often do you actually have to page through a source file to find a member? Is it possible that filters would actually make your job easier? I'm not meaning to poke, because I know its not joyous to run through large lists in RSE, but the point of filters is that your job shouldn't require you to run through large lists on a regular basis - that's more of a 5250 artifact.

I'm eyeing this change with a bit of dread. Our machines are P50s with roughly 150 developers. I could see someone deciding that everyone gets ADTS only as a cost-saving measure. It would be so much easier to argue the case for getting RDi for those of us who want to use it if PDM wasn't part of the equation so that we would never need ADTS again...
I guess maybe I don't understand the need for paging through source files, and even if you do need that, I don't understand why refreshing the filter once a day, say when you log on, isn't enough.

By the way, does the table view help you at all? I like it because I can sort the list and dynamically subset by text strings and so on. It really makes things a lot easier for green screeners.

Joe