I think the arguments likely to be heard about RDBe/EGL are that it's an
IBM product and it is not a true OO framework. In my opinion, it would
have to be open-sourced before we'll hear much buzz on theserverside.com
and onjava.com.

I've switched from deploying light-weight MS-ASP apps to JSP using WDSc
several years ago. It's refreshing to use tooling provided by IBM for
both RPG and web. I only wish I knew sooner that we had WDSc.
Initially I was skeptical about EGL. Then I read a couple articles by
Joe Pluta, attended a session or two at COMMON and participated in the
free distance learning classes conducted by Jon Sayles.

The distance learning classes was enough to convince me. We purchased
RDBe a couple months ago and are using it now for a project. I know
there will be cases where EGL cannot do what we need it to. But, since
it generates to java, I feel we can augment with native java/JSF
components. Maybe I'm wrong but we'll cross that bridge when we get to
it. I do know I won't be programming green-screens anymore. And that's
a good thing.

Daron