Vendors should be told that if they want to keep vending then their
products should be up to date. It should be part of the compliance cycle
when purchasing any new product. The days of creating code and living off
it for 20 years are gone. Although backwards compatibility is desirable, it
should not restrict the move to modernize. Starting as early as 1990 we
asked IBM to modernize their development tool-set; get rid of the green
screens and so on. Now that they are delivering we are complaining:
1) its too much and too late
2) It costs a lot.
3) How do I justify it
4) My vendors are still coding somewhere in 1965

I have read the past 40 or so posts on the subject and have come to one
conclusion. If the business does not see the value in having an iSeries
they need to consider other environments. Businesses run on profits. The
justification for having an iSeries should be quantified in real dollars --
that's what businesses understand. If the business does see a value in
having an iSeries then there is an investment that they have to allocate
which is similar to any other environment. The iSeries environment should
be treated as an asset not a liability. We need to assist the business in
making that decision. If we don't then we shoot ourself in both feet:

The right foot:
Push IBM to modernize so we can deliver what other environments
promise, deliver and implement as standard toolkit

The other foot:
Ask IBM to give it away for free or hide the cost in a bundle
-- so we are not faced with justifying the dollars for what we asked for to
begin with.

Regards
Faizulla Khan
Information Services
Grand Circle Travels
617-346-6058

"Bob Cagle"
<bcagle@xxxxxxxxx
om> To
Sent by: "Websphere Development Studio
wdsci-l-bounces@m Client for iSeries"
idrange.com <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

01/30/2008 08:20 Subject
AM Re: [WDSCI-L] IBM Rational
Developer for System i V7.1

Please respond to
Websphere
Development
Studio Client for
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

Joe Pluta wrote:
Wait, wait, wait... are you telling me that *current* JDE software, the

stuff they sell you and charge support for, is still not ILE? Gz.
They
couldn't even be bothered to run CVTRPGSRC over their code? Well,
maybe
now they'll finally update.

Yes - that is exactly right. Supposedly, they don't have enough of a
sound business reason to run CVTRPGSRC. (Personally, I'd prefer they'd
invest in Linoma's RPG Toolbox and do it right)

--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)