Hi Vern,

<snip>
5799-PTL is the LPP for IBM Tools for Developers for i5/OS (formerly IBM
eServer iSeries Tools for Developers) - PASE has X-Server - this licensed
product has a VNC server that can run in PASE - it all works very nicely
with any VNC client on your PC. You even get emacs with it!

Find info at http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/tools
</snip>

My objective was to have a OpenSHH client shell in WDSCi. WDSCi comes with a
local shell and a QHELL client but nothing which allows me to connect to the
AIX environment running in PASE. I actually prefer this environment to
QSHELL as it has the full unix command set and creats streamfiles in ccsid
819 by default (streamfiles created via QSHELL have a ccsid of 37 on our
system and I have to use setccsid to change them).

I am trying to "live" in WDSCi from now on. I have configured and started
the OpenSSH server on our iSeries box (5 minute job!) and can putty on to it
qwithout problems. I'd quite happily use VNC to access our iSeries but only
through a WDSCi plugin. :-)

You see I already have VNC client and putty installed on my PC. So I can
access my iSeries that way already. It may seem a little odd but what I want
is to have a complete (or as complete as possible) WDSCi-based IDE. I have
the ALDON change management plugin installed and I am pretty disappointed
with it. I can't even create an ALDON task using the plugin and have to sign
on to the development machine perform that simple task. Once created, I can
create a filter to view the task in WDSCi. Not great, but at least it is a
start, and at least I can work on the task once it is there.

Its strange but we do ALL of our java/xml/xsl development in WDSCi now, but
staying there for our RPG isn't that easy. We used the standard eclipse IDE
for our java develpoment and migrated our workbench to WDSCi (which was a
dream to do). So now I have everything ready to do my RPG and java work in
WDSCi but feel frustrated that I seem to be constantly having to go out of
WDSCi to perform simple tasks. I understand that WDSCi isn't designed to be
everything to everybody but it would be really cool if the guys at IBM had
developed an iSeries Navigator plugin. Better still, an iSeries Navigator
perspective. That'd be sweet!!!

(please, somebody tell me there already is one! :-) )

I'll wait until Monday to try the tip from Adam before I proceed further.
Its not the end of the world if I have to minimise WDSCi to start putty, but
the integrated nature if WDSCi means that I can drag/drop stuff from one
system to another via the shells and I can do things like open a word doc in
the IFS via the QSHELL client. I love that! I just wish I had an OpenSSH
equivalent.

As an aside, WDSCi is a totally cool product. I'm glad IBM are investing
money in it. Also, the OpenSSH server is awesome! I never thought I would
ever be able to vi a file in the IFS. The ability to run it directly over
the iSeries POWER5 processor is justification enough for the development of
a standard processor for the IBM server family. Nice work IBM!

Cheers

Larry Ducie