I tried it and it wouldn't build. (Apparently in Windows World they build, not compile.)
Something is missing in our communications. I'd offer more help, but I am pretty sure I am missing something.

DLee@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Booth;

Yes, it compiled
I was only trying to experience a sample program provided by the vrpg reference manual. It appeared to be simple enough to get my feet wet, I guess not.
I didn't expect to get a message I don't understand, (iSeries Messages are usually understandable) and I still don't understand why I got it.
I'll take your advice and add a componen for the parm, I was just trying to keep it simple.

Thanks for looking.

Darrell Lee
Information Technology
Extension 7127

Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/02/2007 10:31 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Fooling around with VRPG

This compiled ok?
But aside from that, it isn't clear to me what you are trying to do with VRPG here? There are no visual parts defined, no way to start this project, no way to end it. Parms as we know them don't really work here. What I would envision for this project is a canvas with a Windows part on it, perhaps an Edit part. You could add a Exit pushbutton to the canvas, too. Then, in the Edit part you would type/paste in the data you wanted to edit(xlate) and write the converted data back out, or write it to to a System i file.

Some of the free & included demos give a better feel for what to look for and expect?

DLee@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Booth;

Yes, it builds fine. Here is the pgm called MyPgm, which passes an
input
parm, which I specified in Project/command line parameters option.

Is there somewhere
H EXE
H*NOMAIN
* Sample standalone VARPG program
*
* Prototype for the main procedure

D MyPgm PR
D 64A Value
*
* Procedure definition for MYPGM
PMyPgm B
*
D MyPgm PI
D InString 64A Value
*
D OutString S 64A
*
D LC C 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
D UC C 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
*
* Translate input parameter to uppercase and display it
C lc:uc Xlate InString OutString
C OutString Dsply I 1
*
PMyPgm E

<Does it build ok? No halts? Which demo program are you working with?>

Darrell Lee
Information Technology
Extension 7127