Dennis

Thanks for the several thoughts from someone who's been there - responses inline

Vern

At 12:20 PM 10/24/2007, you wrote:

> instead of embedding that stuff everywhere in the HTML
> code - easier to maintain, too. They say!
It absolutely makes it easier to maintain! But I would recommend making
sure you do not use any sort of embedded css, either within the span/div
tags or at the top of the page. Make all style sheets external and you
save yourself the headache.

LOL - tongue in cheek is so hard to display in emails! Actually I see the benefits for maintenance - that www.csszengarden.com site is amazing - same exact content - the only difference is style sheets - wow! Wait! I had not mentioned that one - probably because I'd not found it yet!

I feel and must sound like a new convert - heh!

> Also, as is said, tables are for tabular data, not for organization of a
page.
Amen brother!

> It seems that hardly any of the wysiwyg editors work in this new regime
-
> WDSC uses tables - certainly MS' InterDev does, and probably FrontPage
and
> DreamWeaver -
Can't speak for the others but Dreamweaver 8 has plenty of good css
support and is set up so that you can do your layouts sans tables. And
from what I hear CS3 takes it a step further with css templates already
setup, i.e. 3-column pages, rounded corners, etc. I wish I had the cash to
upgrade....

I have not tried any of these - have seen hints of what you say about DW8. The hard-core developers tend to eschew the use of any editors - as does my oh-so-young colleague. He says just write the stuff, then test it in a browser, then make changes. He's trying UltraEdit - I'm using TextPad mostly - works well for me so far. The only thing I'd like more is auto-complete - UltraEdit might have it. Esp. for ASP.

> and use a browser like FireFox to test your work, then adjust.
Just my 2 cents but I find it easier to code for IE and adjust for
firefox.

You input is helpful here - my colleague says he test his stuff on IE 6 and up, and Firefox and Opera and something else - forgot what he said today. Using the IE Tab addon for Firefox lets me see what things look like in that - not sure which version it is. But you don't see anything in FireBug when you use that - sigh!

But I assume you code for the more problematic IE first. There ARE some taking the plunge into full compliance - I don't know all what that means yet - so much to learn.

> I'm just beginning - but I'm intrigued and moving forward, I hope.
Sounds like you've jumped it feet first and are doing great! Keep going
you'll love it! =)

Don't know if you can tell - I'm having too much fun! =))