Thanks for the info Vern. I'll check them out.

Michael Smith
iSeries.mySeries.

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:03 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Web page tutorial in wdsc

I'm just starting out to maintain the web site for the community band
I'm in. I'm learning a lot of stuff - it is a pretty basic site, derived
from an old one somewhere else, I guess. www.ihcb.org if interested -
watch this site as I learn a few things - especially watch for a
dropdown-flyout menu some day!!!

The site linked below seems pretty good - I recommend also
www.w3schools.com for lots of tutorials.

I am being encouraged by a colleague here - a too-smart young punk !!! -
to move to the modern way of doing web pages - separate style and
content. Even the link below uses the old technique of using tables to
do style - presentation. I've seen what that code is like - it can be a
mess - the newer methods that use DIVs and SPANs and cascading style
sheets and XHTML seem better - if you were to look at the code for our
band site, you would see <font size=2>some text everywhere there is
text - the content gets murky. Also, as is said, tables are for tabular
data, not for organization of a page.

So here is a link to something using CSS and DIVs, etc., that looks
quite complex -
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

Again, www.w3schools.com has good introductory stuff. And I just ran
through this site last night - very impressive -
http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/

And another site - where the gospel of XHTML and CSS is preached -
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/practicalcss/ - is an article on NOT
using tables - the alistapart site has good stuff - one contributor -
Erik Meyer - is recommended in a developerworks review - linked to in
WDSC tutorials on CSS.

Oh - style sheets are loaded once, cached, so your web page runs faster
when you use them, instead of embedding that stuff everywhere in the
HTML code - easier to maintain, too. They say!

It seems that hardly any of the wysiwyg editors work in this new regime
- WDSC uses tables - certainly MS' InterDev does, and probably FrontPage
and DreamWeaver - my colleague encourages using a good editor like
TextPad, UltraEdit, or EditPlus and use a browser like FireFox to test
your work, then adjust. I love a couple addins to Firefox - FireBug is
unbelievable for debugging JavaScript and all - then there is HTML
Validator, and IE Tab, that gives you an Internet Explorer test inside
of FireFox.

I'm just beginning - but I'm intrigued and moving forward, I hope.

HTH
Vern

From: "Dave Boettcher" <DBoettch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try this one for html:

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html

hth,

Dave B

"Smith, Mike" 10/23/07 8:29 AM >>>
I am trying to run through a 'Do and Learn' tutorial on web page
design.
I am on the latest 7.0.0.4. However when I do as asked and select
'Base
Faces support 7.0' I get a message that says I need JSTL 1.0 or newer.

Anyone know how resolve this?

Also, as a side, does anyone know of good HTML tutorials, that will
walk
you through building(reasonably complex) webpages from the ground up?

Michael Smith
iSeries.mySeries.