From: "Charlie Ramsdale" <Charlie_Ramsdale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:36 AM
To: "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC vs SEU

Yes I do, Buck. Every time I teach my class, that's what 9 out of 10
people say. They love it. They say they'll use SEYU occasionally for

quick things, but they love WDSC. There's always one curmudgeon who
insists on ignoring the benefits and complaining about how WRKMBRPDM
starts faster, but the people who actually want productivity, they
love
it.

Have you done a follow up with those students to see how they're doing
now?

I attended one of Joe's sessions at DevCon last year (and several other
presenters) and I too walked away professing allegiance to WDSC. Now
several months later where am I?... occasionally, if time allows, I
remind myself to use WDSC instead of SEU.
I have many, many years of using SEU and green screen and am quite
proficient and productive using them. I have many minutes of using WDSC
and still have to stop and search on how to accomplish some tasks.
I don't work in a class room, I work in the real world and business
dictates "I want it yesterday". They don't understand you taking time
away from their projects so that you can learn to use something that
they see as having no direct benefit to the business. ("it doesn't
create income" - how many times have we heard that?).

Would I like to use WDSC more? Sure. Would I like the other developers
to switch use WDSC too? Yes. Will that happen any time soon.
Realistically, no. You can blast and browbeat those of us that don't
"do as you do" all you want, but when it comes right down to it, when
management comes my way and says "I want this yesterday" - I can jump
right into SEU and come very close to that deadline without losing time
relearning my trade.

Charlie

PS: by the way, I LOVE SQL. I can't remember the last time I used
query.