From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:31 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC vs SEU

I can't really afford that, but if I could, what would that
cost me in roundy numbers? Figure a burden rate of $125 an
hour and 7 people and don't forget the opportunity costs. So
40 hours * 7 people * $250 an hour comes to $70000 plus the
cost of the teacher's fee, lodging, meals, travel, maybe
$5000?. Let's say $75000 as the cost of getting taught WDSC.

I can't speak to the productivity gain... it seems smallish
to me, but I haven't the experience you have teaching it.
I'm just an informal, if avid proselyte. Can you give me a
roundy sort of number for the ROI; when will my investment in
my fellow employees get paid down?

I think you are going overboard on those numbers.

First off, you can't count the pay twice. You'd be paying them anyway, the only thing that counts is
the opportinity cost since they wouldn't be working on business needs.

Second, Joe's class is only 1 day, not a week.

Finally, I'll be the first to admit that it's going to take more time than what's provided by Jow
class for developers to get good with WDSCi. But that time's refected in decreased productivity while
using WDSCi for the first feww weeks. According to an IBM study (
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/i5/march07/features/12259p1.aspx ), developers feel about 80% as
productive with WDSCi the first week, and by the middle of week 2 they feel back at 100%. By week 2
they are at 140%, at which point it goes down some as they try new and more difficult tasks, but they
still feel more productive than with SEU. From that point forward, it's all uphill.

So your costs:
Instructor: $5,000
1 day for training: (7*8*125) $7,000
1st week at 80%: (40*7*125*.20) $7,000
2nd week at 90%: (40*7*125*.10) $3,500
---------
$22,500

So what's the ROI?

Figure just a 10% productivity improvement:
22,500 / (40*7*125*.10) = 6.5 weeks. (8.5 including the first 2)

WDSCi looks like a good idea to me!

Charles

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.