From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:30 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC 7.0.0.2 still requires 800MB
downloadfromInternet

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 5:36 PM
To: 'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'
downloadfromInternet

From: Wilt, Charles

Did you use IBM Packaging Utility*** to create a local repository?

No. Where does it say I needed to do that? Here's my
confusion: you say the 7.0.0.2 will want to "look at" the
local (7.0.0.0) repository. For what? That version is
already installed. The only thing I could possibly have in a
local repository is what came from my CDs, i.e., version 7.0.0.0.

Don't know why it needs the original 7.0 repository, but it does.

So when I am applying the 745MB of 7.0.0.2, what is the
additional 810MB it downloading from the Internet? Is it
re-downloading version 7.0.0.0? Why would it need to
re-access the software I've already installed? Is it
downloading 7.0.0.1? If so, that should have been in the
7.0.0.2 ZIP file.

Nope, AFAIK not downloading 7.0.0.1. Even if it was, why should that be in 7.0.0.2?

You want it to be, since you didn't already have 7.0.0.1.

But I sure wouldn't want it in there since I already had it.

In this case, what it needed was in the original 7.0. The reason it's not in 7.0.0.2 is that it's
expected that you already have the original 7.0 available. Same thing applies, you're saying you want
it in so all you need to download in the fixpack. I on the other hand wouldn't want it in there as I
had 7.0 in my local repository.

The fixpack is downloadable for basically two reasons
1) So you can update machines without internet connectivity
2) So you can update a local repository for use by multiple machines.

In case 1, IM would ask for the CDs since it can't talk to IBM.
In case 2, Packaging Utility would ask for the CDs or the location of the original 7.0 repository.

The problem is, you're not playing the way IBM expected you to Joe. <grin>

If you want to insist on not downloading anything automatically, tell IM that. Configure it to not
access the IBM repositories.

However, if you have multiple machines, then you really ought to set up your own local repository
using packaging manager. It's quick and easy and works great. In fact, you could have set one up
easily in the time we've already spent on this topic.

However, when you talk about "local repository", you are
talking about
using Packaging Utility to first define an empty repository
( aka the
"local repository" ) then using Packaging Utility to copy
the original
install to the local repository, finally using Packaging Utility to
copy the fixpack downloaded from IBM into the local repository.

No, that is specifically NOT what the instructions say. They
say you can download the 7.0.0.2 fixpack, expand it, point to
it as a repository, and then apply it to your installation.

They also say:
"Note: During the process of updating from a local repository, Installation Manager might prompt you
for the location of the repository for WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries, Version 7.0.
If you installed the product from CDs or other media, they must be available when you use the update
feature."

Since you had an internet connection and you left IM configured to access the IBM repositories,
apparently the installation manager didn't bother you about it. Instead, IM simply downloaded what it
needed.

Again, I want to know what the 810MB represented, and why it
was downloaded from the Internet. Are you saying it needed
to somehow re-apply 810MB of the original 7.0.0.0 software?
I don't think so!

As I understand it, yes.

I'm not IBM Joe, I can't tell you why it's done this way.

Instead of looking at IBM's repository, all your WDSCi
installs will
want to look at the local repository you set up for their updates.
Also, if you were to do a new install from the local
repository, you'd
end up with 7.0.0.2 in one shot.

I understand this part, and I am looking forward to doing
that sometime in the future. However, all I am trying to do
is to apply the fix pack to an already installed version of
WDSC (installed fresh from CD) without having to go to the Internet.

This seems to be a reasonable request!

Then you need to tell IM not to access the IBM repositories.

In which case, when you go to apply the fixpack, it will ask for the original CD's.

HTH,
Charles

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.