From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 4:36 PM
To: 'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC 7.0.0.2 still requires 800MB
downloadfromInternet

From: Wilt, Charles

Did you use IBM Packaging Utility*** to create a local repository?

No. Where does it say I needed to do that? Here's my confusion: you say
the 7.0.0.2 will want to "look at" the local (7.0.0.0) repository. For
what? That version is already installed. The only thing I could possibly
have in a local repository is what came from my CDs, i.e., version 7.0.0.0.

So when I am applying the 745MB of 7.0.0.2, what is the additional 810MB it
downloading from the Internet? Is it re-downloading version 7.0.0.0? Why
would it need to re-access the software I've already installed? Is it
downloading 7.0.0.1? If so, that should have been in the 7.0.0.2 ZIP file.

However, when you talk about "local repository", you are talking about
using Packaging Utility to
first define an empty repository ( aka the "local repository" ) then using
Packaging Utility to copy
the original install to the local repository, finally using Packaging
Utility to copy the fixpack
downloaded from IBM into the local repository.

No, that is specifically NOT what the instructions say. They say you can
download the 7.0.0.2 fixpack, expand it, point to it as a repository, and
then apply it to your installation.

Again, I want to know what the 810MB represented, and why it was downloaded
from the Internet. Are you saying it needed to somehow re-apply 810MB of
the original 7.0.0.0 software? I don't think so!

Instead of looking at IBM's repository, all your WDSCi installs will want
to look at the local
repository you set up for their updates. Also, if you were to do a new
install from the local
repository, you'd end up with 7.0.0.2 in one shot.

I understand this part, and I am looking forward to doing that sometime in
the future. However, all I am trying to do is to apply the fix pack to an
already installed version of WDSC (installed fresh from CD) without having
to go to the Internet.

This seems to be a reasonable request!

Joe