David Foxwell wrote:

As the only person in the team using WDSc ( V5 ! ), I was recently summoned to transfer all I knew to everyone else.

After a couple of months ar one 2 hour session a week, I thought everyone would move from PDM to WDSc. I was thinking, Great then we'll get V7, cos being alone I had no chance.

Months later :
They're all still in front of their green screens!
I've got V6.0 but not enough memory to use it. The others have V6.2 and the memory!
So I'm still on V5. Can't open a DDS member. Debugging, no point. Code 400 and Code designor don't work. But as for the rest, I would never go back to PDM.

Just got a memo asking for ideas on how to be more productive and efficient ! Felt like screaming.
Now, what do you think? Would I be right in saying that we should be a obliged to use WDSc ? Given that we have invested the time to install it and are trained to use it?

I can't imagine any production line continuing to use outdated machinery while the latest model lies idle gathering dust in some corner of the factory floor. Or is that too simple an analogy?

David -

I'm working towards the goal using WDSc exclusively (we're using WDSc V6), but you have to agree that it's much faster to use SEU if you're only making a simple fix to a program...

The bottom line for me is whether or not you are working on legacy code - RPG (OPM) vs RPGIV.

I'm working in a JDE shop that still writes most code in RPG400. WDSc doesn't do a lot for you with OPM source - for example, in the outline view you can't click on a variable name and see where it is used - it only shows the subroutine references. In this case, I usually compile the source to get a cross-reference listing to find the variable references, then I use SEU to make the changes.

As a consultant, I can't justify the time needed to convert each OPM program to RPGIV when editing it to get these benefits, and it would also be a problem in Implementer - I would have to remove the original RPG program from Implementer and add it again as an RPGLE program, causing even more work.

We are writing new programs with RPGIV and use WDSc to edit them, except for the ones that are generated by the JDE CASE tool, which generates only OPM code...

Steve