From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Heinz.Sporn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:58 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC 6, Subclipse and iSeries projects

Hi Aaron!

Well I just started with Subclipse using a tiny sample program (RPG and DDS
sources). Here's what I did:

1. Created an iSeries Project
2. Added all necessary source members to the project created in step 1
directly from the Remote System Explorer.
3. Switched to the SVN Repository view
4. Right-clicked my repository and selected New / New remote folder
5. Right-clicked the folder I just created and selected Import.

From that on I only used the iSeries Projects sources and executed Team /
Update and Team / Commit to satisfy version control.

You are right - working with iSeries Projects means that you are working
with local copies of your iSeries source members. But I don't see a problem
in that when it comes to pushing back sources. WDSC does that for me
transparently.

Yes it's a tad nicer to compile stuff directly from the Remote System
Explorer. And yes it'd be very nice if Subversion would be integrated
directly into Remote System Explorer.

I think it's clear that when you start using Subclipse all programmers
involved in a project under version control will have to use WDSC +
Subclipse as well. Anything else wouldn't make much sense.

But the administrative overhead pays off in my opinion. If you commit
yourself to version control you will have to start streamlining you project
organization drastically - which is a good thing.

I don't agree that the main reason for using Subversion (and version control
in general) is the ability to compare the contents of different source file
versions. Would be sad actually.

Version control like Subversion is a powerful tool that supports you in
organizing and saving software development projects.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen