Richard Schoen wrote:
Wow, you must be running into some odd problems to have a need to debug
in the JT400 source.
I would be curious to hear your reason to be working at the source level
within JT400.
Kind of like opening up an engine when you're not sure which part caused
it to seize up :-)

I posted the problem in the JTOpen forum; I didn't post here because I didn't think it was appropriate, but since you asked... here is a copy of my post to the forum:

I have found what I believe to be a bug. I am new to Java/JTOpen, so
please excuse my muddling through this problem report.

I use the AS400RecordFileDescription to dynamically fetch the
description for a logical file. I then set the retrieved format as
the format for a KeyedFile, and open the file for reading. An
exception is thrown at this open stage, saying "javaValue (00):
Length is not valid". I stepped through the source, and have
isolated the problem to line 1019 of Record.class where the default
value of the field is set.

In our DDS file, the default is set to:
DFT(X'00'), a HEX value. But it seems the java class is not
recognizing this as a HEX value.

We have a temporary workaround where we created a new logical file,
without the problem field, but I hope a more permanent solution can
be found.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them. Especially if it is a mistake on my part, and not a bug in JTOpen.

Brian Leathem