Bill & All:

I haven't said much here (I've said plenty in IT Jungle), but this is
exactly why I won't request/order/download V7. Here's a short recap:

- IBM deprecates CODE (no more enhancements, but you can still use it on XP
and probably on Vista in XP/SP2 mode, maybe run as Administrator)
- IBM makes the replacement available...in AE at a price tag of $4K+ per
seat (OK, preview/beta/test/???)
- We complain
- IBM's response is to suggest that it could be "componentized" so we could
get it for much less (I haven't seen a specific price or anywhere to
purchase this)
- We complain again
- IBM says in effect (from Bill's post:
"Please keep using CODE, even though we won't support it any further. As to
the replacement, we really don't know what we're going to do about that."

I've taken the stance that using V7 is tacit acceptance of IBM's actions. I
won't do that. I'm drawing a line in the sand. I love using WDSc. If
asked a question on it I'll be happy to help. But I won't move to V7 until
IBM resolves this properly.

IMHO, Standard Edition should include the following:
- replacements for the green-screen tools (PDM/SEU/SDA/RLU/Debug/Projects)
- Perhaps some additional tools to at least get folks looking toward web
development (basic tools here)

I've probably missed a few items here that others can chime in on. If IBM
needs additional income (don't we all), there are various ways to do it, but
forcing us to move to AE or doing things piecemeal is a bad idea. If we're
"componentizing", does that mean that I can return items to IBM that I'm not
using for a refund? I won't cash that check just yet.

If IBM really wants/needs revenue, how about componentizing SEU/SDA/RLU?
Give those a per seat charge and they won't be able to produce CDs/DVDs of
WDSc fast enough. And, send the funds to the right people...give George
what he needs.

OK...time for my blood pressure medicine I guess. These are just my
opinions, but unless someone can show me good cause to budge, I'm holding
the line.

--Bruce Guetzkow