Joe

From: Brian

When sending a note to Sam, please include a request that the licensing
for
EGL on the System i continues to be included with WDS. EGL is the
only development tool that has been removed from WDSC in version 7.0 and
is
now scheduled to be released as a standalone product. A reasonable
compromise would be to include x number of seats based on the P level of
the System i instead of the unlimited number of licenses included for
WDSC.

EGL was introduced to System i developers with a lot of fanfare from IBM
and
articles/presentations from Bob Cancilla (who now heads the Rational tools
for System i) touting it as the next generation language for System
i development. Now it is being jerked away from us in what can only be
described as a classic "bait and switch" manuver. IBM states that current
users of EGL will be grandfathered into the new product licensing but who
is a current user? Is is only those who have deployed an application
developed with EGL or does it include those who have spent some time
"playing" with it to see what it offers? Or, could it possibly be all
current licensees of WDS?

If EGL is truly as strategic to IBM as it has been protrayed to be then it
needs to be readily available to System i developers and the only way that
is going to happen is to include some licenses with WDS.

Thank you for your consideration.