I've also experimented with VARPG, but not in a business environment.

When my son was learning multiplication/division tables in school, I made
a small program to test him (this was 2 years ago).

Just stand-alone on a pc, no iSeries involved.

Worked like a charm, the teacher was very enthousiastic.

And I'll be doing it again, as he got new pc's, and I somehow managed to
forget saving the sources when I re-installed Windows on my laptop ;-)

Peter Colpaert
Application Developer
PLI - IT - Kontich, Belgium
-----
Yoda of Borg are we.  Futile is resistance, assimilated will you be.
-----

qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
28/03/2007 05:57
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] VARPG

I know Claus has already mentioned that IBM Support can be used for
VARPG issues (and I also read the comment about a PMR that was open for
8 months and not resolved -- I had a PMR open for over 14 months that
was never resolved, but it wasn't for VARPG; sometimes it happens.)

It's hard to pin down the value of having IBM support behind a product.
(Even if their record isn't perfect.)

And the move to event-driven programming is no small leap to make for
procedural programmers. VARPG gives both a GUI IDE and event-driven
programming, but the language is at least recognizable. VARPG doesn't
require that significant business-logic be coded in it. It can be used
almost purely for presentation if that's what's wanted.

My first VARPG app years ago was a simple desktop calendar that I could
click days in order to maintain a trivial to-do list. Useful? Not
really. But I learned how to use various parts, how to act on events,
how to manage parent- and child-windows, how to do just about everything
simply to work in the product. Took most of the day.

Tom Liotta