I think most peoples perceoption on free in this discussion relates to an
additional costs over and above. eg most sites will purchase the development
tools as a given, so most developers look at anything in that toolset as
free.

If IBM go down the road of selling each piece individually, most sites will
probably take up the most basic offering they need, and then developers will
have to go 'cap in hand' to their boss to request purchases of additional
items. We all know how much a battle thats gonna be if thats the case.

On 26/03/07, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Maybe the fact that you're an ISV, and therefore don't pay for your
software has clouded your perception.

I am sure it has clouded, but the bigger picture still remains.  If IBM
can
produce something that is good enough, there will be many that will pay
for
it.  Why?  For the same reasons people pay for every other tool in their
toolbox.  Why do people use VS.NET instead of SharpDevelop?  Why do people
run Windows vs. Linux?  Why do people pay for CMS packages like MKS,
Softlanding and Aldon when they could roll their own home grown - because
in
the end it is like purchasing manpower at a very cheap rate.

Why do I pay $40/year for MyEclipseIDE when all of the tooling in that IDE
is available for free?  Why do I pay any money at all when all that
tooling
is available in WDSC?... Simply because it has saved me enough time in the
long run that I can put a dollar amount to it.  Having used MyEclipseIDE I
now know it's feature set and would be willing to pay a couple hundred
dollars/yr for that tool.  Of course IBM is talking about charging a
couple
hundred for a single feature.  Maybe my perception is also clouded by the
fact that I am a consultant and any time I am not productive is time that
am not billing out.

>The toolset is not free.
Yep, I addressed that in my last response to you and I understand that it
is
not free.

>We, the end-user customer shops, pay dearly for it.
How much do you pay?  Here is the config of my machine and it appears that
the cost for 5722-WDS is $3,650.  I am guessing they have a different
price
based on processor group?
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/linkto/systemiconfig.pdf

Aaron Bartell