From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 8:33 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] George Farr declares feature specific pricing
onhorizon for WDSC

BTW, I am installing my COMPLETELY FREE WDSC 7.0 as I type...

Aaron,
I'm confused. In the whole arguement about where WDSC is going, many have
noted we can't get something for free...
The development tools have NEVER been free (forget what discounts or bundles
IBM "partners" get). I paid thousands for the 5722-WDS Websphere Development
Tools, which includes the compilers, WDSC, Code, VARPG. All the way back to
release 1.0 we have always paid for development tools. The Software Support
agreement (more thousands) pays for the upgrades.
What is "free"???
What I see is IBM's replacement product to PDM has many great features, but
lacks (without Advanced Edition) the same functionality of PDM necessary in
day to day application coding.
Until IBM puts it in writing, how does one evaluate their offer?
Right now, a couple Advanced Edition licenses can exceed the cost of the
hardware & OS combined.
I absolutely agree IBM must do something.
jim franz