Richard,

One of the things that causes windows to go into activation mode is a
new ethernet card (the mac address changed).

There is a way to tell the virtual machine to always the same mac
address.  There is a knowledge base article in the vm-ware forums about
this.

That should take care of that problem.

Bill

richard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
You can do this.

Actually I have zipped several master images and I copy them to my laptop
as needed.  I can always unzip a fresh copy when I need one.

I even have a couple Linux partitions set up for testing.

Beware of Windows 2003 and Vista though because they will go into
Activation mode as soon as you copy to a different machine.

Pain in the butt.

I have been using Win2000 to create portable non-activation demo
partitions.

Windows, Mac asks if he can delete your hard drive.  Cancel or
allow.............. I love the Mac commercials :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------------
message: 4
date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:16:08 -0500
from: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC in VM

I'm still trying to get a good feel for whether I can copy off both the
virtual disk drive and the associated server information onto a network
device and then delete the local copy, thus freeing up the space on the
local drive.

The idea is to create a repository of working servers on the network drive
and copy them onto the local drive as needed.  I'm sure I could use the
network drive as my repository, but that's a lot of extra overhead that
I'd
like to avoid.  Instead, I'd like to simply copy in whichever
configurations
I need when I need them.