Rick:

I basically want to duplicate the function of the FIELDS macro from
CODE/400.

What I want to do is extend the editor by building functions that could read
the file field definitions from a text file and write out records to my
current document.

In CODE, with the push of a button, I get a file field definition redirected
to a text file that looks like this:

STAT       CHARACTER         1 Status Code
NUM        ZONED          5.00 Customer Number
ADDTS      TIMESTAMP        26 Record Add Timestamp

I edit the field list by changing comments and deleting fields that I'm not
going to be using.

Then I have macros to run against this file that will give me output like
this simple example:

     C         Eval      STAT    =  *Blanks         Status Code
     C         Eval      NUM     =  *Zeros          Customer Number
     C         Eval      ADDTS   =  *LoVal          Rec Add Timestamp

I've got about 20 of these macros built around the input text file
technique.  Many are used frequently because it saves time and helps prevent
keying errors.

I'm trying to figure a way to migrate from CODE/400 and duplicate my
existing functionality.

The iSeries Field Table View has the data I need to work with, wish there
was a way to get at it....

John

John,

I don't know of a way to do what I think you are asking but I am curious.
Why
do you want to import the field list?  With externally described files I'm
hard
pressed to find a reason to import a field list into a program.

Rick