I am unable to select a second source member.

That's a Windows thing. Microsoft have documented most of the XP keyboard/mouse operation here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301583 The main bit that's missing is that SHIFT extends the selection to the current cursor position and CTRL adds the current cursor to the selection.

Open Windows Explorer and get a list of files in the right pane. Click on a file, hold down the SHIFT key then click on another one down a few. Windows selects all the files from the first one to the second one. You can do the same thing with the keyboard. TAB over to the right pane, use the page/arrow keys to get to a file, press SPACE. Now hold SHIFT down and use page/arrow to select a batch of files as a unit. This creates an inclusive list; from the first to the last.

You can select just a few files of you use CTRL instead of SHIFT. Click the first one, then hold down CTRL and click another. Each one you click on whilst holding down CTRL will be added to the list. You can do it with a keyboard by using SPACE to select instead of clicking. Just don't let go of the CTRL key while you move around!

The last tip is that you can use SHIFT to select a whole boatload of files and then before you move the cursor, hold down CTRL. When you click/select a file now, it becomes de-selected.

This same principle holds true for all well-written Windows programs. In RSE, for you to select two files to compare, you click the first, hold down CTRL and click the second. Then right click and you can do the compare.

Has the KISS principle been
> thrown away with the advent of GUI?

Some days it sure seems like it, but I remember having to learn some arcane stuff in Ye Olden Days too. Why'd we have PA and PF keys on a 3277 anyway? :-) It's just a new set of arcana that we need to master, or at least get used to.

I wanted to tack on the idea that One Size does not fit All. Before you mentioned it, I never even looked at the RSE compare source. I use a PC utility that's been kicking around for a while: ExamDiff. I don't feel there's a gun to my head forcing me to use any particular bits of RSE or WDSCi or Lpex, and if I don't feel like it, I just don't bother! I have two green screen sessions up at this minute and I use the graphical debugger maybe once a week. So what? Use what works for you.

When you see a tip on this list that looks interesting, give it a whirl. If it seems too difficult to work with, post a note to give the WDSC team some feedback and do it the way that you like. Nobody wants to beat you down over this, but I'm interested in your experience, if only because I'm not brave enough to post my own problems :-/
  --buck