From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed 2/28/2007 2:25 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] EGL  Was:  New Release?

So how about this for EGL?

<IBM>
Enterprise Generation Language

To increase the flexibility of IBM's Software Delivery Platform, IBM is
introducing a new modular approach to packaging selected components. The
first step in this modularization is to remove the Enterprise Generation
Language (EGL) development environment from the Eclipse-based Software
Delivery Platform products in which it has been hosted (for example, IBM
Rational Application Developer, IBM WebSphere Development Studio Client)
and to make it available as an EGL extension, a separately orderable and
installable product feature. WebSphere Development Studio Client V7.0
therefore does not contain any EGL development tools. IBM is currently
updating and enhancing the EGL development tools and plans to make them
available starting in second quarter 2007.

WebSphere Development Studio Client V6 customers who currently use EGL
should continue to develop EGL applications using WebSphere Development
Studio Client V6 until the equivalent EGL functionality becomes available
as a product extension to WebSphere Development Studio Client V7.0. These
customers will be entitled to obtain the EGL Extension product.

All statements regarding IBM's plans, directions, and intent are subject
to change or withdrawal without notice.
</IBM>

Let me guess, IBM figured they were bundling WDSC too cheap in WDS?

I heard EGL was supposed to be the bees knees but maybe they figured that
the target audience were migrations from mainframes, and, once again,
those clients are used to throwing so much money at any little subset that
$1,200 hammers purchased by the Pentagon sounds entirely reasonable?  Or,
are they planning on giving EGL away, but they just bundle it individually
(tracking usage perhaps)?

Rob Berendt