On Feb 19, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:

From: Kaiserbladekarl

While it is true that Microsoft has a poor track record on software
reliability itself, the fact that WDSC will not update or load or run
on Vista is not Microsofts problem it is IBMs.

If you read the threads, you'll see that WDSC runs on Vista, it's just not supported. I wouldn't bother certifying any code for Vista until at least
one, preferably two, service packs to make sure they don't change any
fundamental security handling and thus blow up the software.

Sorry I thought I read somewhere that the updates would not work. But what's the difference if you can't install CODE to do screens and print files You have to bounce back to the green screen anyway.

Microsoft is also not to blame for the fact that WDSC has no means to
interact with the iSeries in an interactive manner. They have had
plenty of time to migrate CODE Designer to WDSC but have chosen
instead to focus on web applications even though I would guess that a
majority of users would prefer the latter.

Actually, the blame here is the users. Most programmers who want to build green screens tend to USE green screens to do their development ("You'll get my 5250 when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers..."). It's taken quite an effort to get some programmers to adopt WDSC. IBM figured that only web developers would want to use WDSC, and for a long time they were right.

Now as more green screen developers are switching to WDSC, IBM is going to
incorporate SDA-type functionality into the product.

Actually the blame here is with IBM. Sure there are people who would want to stay in the green screen. Hell there are peopl who code Java in notepad or vi but the majority of people want to use better tools. It's just a matter of finding the tool. IBM never gave anyone an incentive to move off green screen until they started popping the "modern alternative" message from pdm. And now with your "scare tactics" marketing techniques many more are trying to move to WDSC but finding way too many barriers to doing so.
Please IBM we just want an stable, quick and complete IDE we can use.

WDSC does more than any other IDE out there. On a good machine, it's fast and powerful. It allows you to build multi-tier applications and debug all the tiers without leaving the IDE (NO other tool does that). The only place it's lacking is in 5250 support, and that's hardly surprising given IBM''s
direction.

In fact, it's pretty surprising that they're going to create an SDA
replacement, when CODE is perfectly functional!  I don't see a 5250
development tool anywhere in Microsoft's tool suite...

A good machine? hell the requirements are for a great machine! You need a gig of memory minimum and a 2 gig processor before it runs anywhere close to fast. I agree that it does things no other IDE does but it seems that adding a designer and at least a 5250 console type screen would be trivial. Yes CODE is perfectly functional but as I'm sure you are aware they are not enhancing it. It is a dead product. Why would Microsoft create a 5250 development tool and why would you even suggest they should? I wasn't suggesting that Visual Studio was better than WDSC but for development targeted for the Wndows platform it is complete that's more than I can say for WDSC apps targeted for the iSeries platform.

Joe