Agent Controller is a component from Eclipse project TPTP(
www.eclipse.org/tptp ). It is
is a daemon that allows client applications to launch and manage local or
remote applications and provides
information about running applications to other applications.

You need to install Agent Controller if you want to use some RAD
components, such as Profiling, Component testing,
Run-time analysis for probe insertion, code coverage, leak analysis. It is
also required if you want to do remote application
testing with WAS 5.0 or 5.1 ( not required on WAS 6.0 target servers ).

WDSC6.0.1 ADV added a function to import remote job log and message queue.
Depending on how you use this function,
you may need to install Agent Controller on your System i.  The import has
two modes -- local import
and remote import. Local import means you download the log to workstation
first. Local import does not require Agent
Controller. This can be done by using "Convert job log"  from RSE popup
menu and choose "Download the log to workstation" in dialog
or set it from preference. Remote import means you import log from host
directly. This can be done by using RAD "Profiling and Logging"
perspective, or using "Convert job log" from RSE but does not choose
"Download the log to workstation".  Remote import requires Agent
Controller on host.

As for JRE, it has to be 1.4 or higher.  I suggest you use the one shipped
with RAD ( the last one in your list ).

More details can be found on RAD help doc.

Thanks,

Li Ding
iSeries AD, IBM Toronto Lab

"Glenn Gundermann" <ggundermann@xxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces+xuanchen=ca.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/19/2007 08:18 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[WDSCI-L] WDSc Install Question - Agent Controller & java.exe

Hi folks,

I've installed WDSc many times but never thought about it much.  Two
things I'd like explained to me are:

1.  What is the Agent Controller used for?  I've installed it each time
but I'm not sure what it's for.

2.  During the Agent Controller install, it asks me to specify where the
java.exe is.  Which one is the correct one to specify?  When I do a search
on the pc, I find 16 of them:
- c:\ibmtools\updater\rje\bin\
- c:\program files\ibm\client access\jre\bin\
- c:\program files\ibm\rational\dsp\6.0\ + 14 different sub-directory
names
Each time I've done the install in the past, I just picked one of them.

Thanks.

Glenn Gundermann
ggundermann@xxxxxx
(647) 272-3295