My reccos:

Take the DVD and copy it to a shared folder. Do not use CDs. By the time
you get to insert the 3rd CD you have alread invested 2 or 3 hours into the
process, and thats where it usually fails.

Do not install all the optionals - even though you are tempted to. EGL and
other stuff can wait. These can be installed later. Do install the Iseries
components and test environment.

If you are using Windows have the users re-start the PC completely -- not
just turn their spiffy 17 inch flat panel on and off.

Ensure that at least 10GB of disk space is available. This is very
important - The DVD has about 3.5GB of compressed data on it and the
patches that are downloaded are just as "thin".

Ohh real important -- avoid installing into the C:\Program files\IBM ...
Eclipse runs out of directory string variable space very quickly and simply
hangs.
Install off the root into C:\wbsp or C:\rational. Keep the directory paths
as short as possible. This helps later when creating web-services from
ISeries applications and other JSP applications.

If you plan to share projects I would reccomend that all the users install
into a similar directory structure to prevent refactoring issues.

Avoid having the user workspace as a sub-folder within the installation
folder. That too should be off the root folder. This is just in case you
need to wipe the entire installation and start again.

I took a snapshot of a clean insatall and copied it to a USB attached
sandisk. I can use this later if I need to without having to go through the
patch download process again.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Faizulla Khan