Posting to the mailing list with permission from Don Nitke...

Don Yantzi
Technical Lead
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab

----- Forwarded by Don Yantzi/Toronto/IBM on 01/26/2007 02:18 PM -----

Don Yantzi/Toronto/IBM
01/26/2007 12:31 PM

"Nitke, Don" <dnitke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Re: [WDSCI-L] Update JRE in WDSC

Hi Don,

The WDSC versions are supersets of the Rational products.  The WDSC
install actually installs the Rational products first and then installs
the iSeries specific plug-ins ontop to make WDSC.  However, chances are
that you have the standard edition of WDSC but they are using the
"advanced" edition of Rational products (see note 2 below).  The advanced
editions do have some additional Java tools for doing EJB development, UML
and profiling.  But the editor, compilers, projects, actions will all be
the same.

Here are the mapping:

WDSC 5.1.x includes WSSD 5.1.x
WDSC AE 5.1 includes WSAD 5.1.x

WDSC 6.0.x includes RWD 6.0.x
WDSC AE 6.0.x includes RAD 6.0.x

A few things to note:

1.  WebSphere Studio Application Developer (WSAD) was renamed to Rational
Application Developer (RAD) in 6.0
2.  The version of WDSC that is included with the RPG / COBOL compilers is
the standard edition.  This includes WSSD and RWD.  The advanced editions
of WDSC (you have to buy these) include WSAD (5.1.x) and RAD (6.0.x).
3.  As long as you have the same versions (i.e. either 5.1.x or 6.0.x)
then you can install WDSC standard and the Rational products on the same
PC and it installs into the same workbench.

Do you mind if I reply this to the mailing list?  This type of question
comes up often.

Don Yantzi
Technical Lead
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab

"Nitke, Don" <dnitke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/26/2007 11:23 AM

Don Yantzi/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc

Subject
RE: Re: [WDSCI-L] Update JRE in WDSC

Don,

Thank you very much for you feedback I have one more question though. Is
there any differences (Java Programmer wise) between WDSCi 6.01 and WSAD
(Rational). There is a belief at my company that Java programming for our
iProduct Web Applications need to be programmed on WSAD (Rational) Tools
instead of WDSCI because the WSAD is more rubust for Java functionality.
Is this true and also are the project structures different or anything
else like that.

Thanks
Don Nitke