Anyway, I'm sure this conversation has gone on long enough.  Nobody really
cares about our little tiffs.  It's good to get out the various points of
view and let other decide, but after about three volleys, I think our
conversations tend to degenerate a little bit... I mean really, "bag on a
horse's butt" (and yes, I know I started that)?  <grin>

I know. But it is fun to nag each other once in a while.  I miss you man
:-)

I've also been having bad dreams since you coined the phrase "bag on a
horse's butt."

Thanks for that :-)

Short summary response to the major points and then I'm done too.

1. How do you debug generated bytecode running on the server from Visual
Studio?

I left the bytecode discussion way back in the threads early on :-)

Remember that's only ~5% of what we do.

However for the record you can use Visual Studio to debug interactively
whether doing pure .Net or using the Mainsoft stuff to run and test on
Websphere/Tomcat.

2. How do you debug RPG on the server from Visual Studio?

Got me on that one :-)

I don't need to debug.  My RPG code is perfect.

OK, not true.

Personally I still use the green screen for RPG debugging.  I guess I'm
still a little old fashioned.

I can't quit my 5250 addiction.

OK, a little confession: I use WDSC sometimes, but usually just to check
in/out source members from our source control :-)

3. You recommend architectures in which the iSeries is just a database
server.

Actually, no.  I am a die-hard iSeries fan just as you are and recognize
its many strengths over the Wintel world.

We still use RPG as the business logic server quite a bit as well. In fact
calling RPG stored procedures is pretty powerful stuff and keeps all the
business logic safe on the iSeries in SQL or RPG procedures.

This allows your .Net or Java layers to remain very thin and mainly
related to UI work as you mentioned. I just prefer sprocs over the data
queue method because you can plumb directly to the program calls via the
database connection instead of using data queues.

Also our iSeries customers are running our WebDocs and Workflow
applications natively using Apache, Websphere, Websphere Portal and Tomcat
as app servers.

I certainly wouldn't call that recommending architectures that paint the
iSeries as just another DB server :-)

See you in Feb :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen