From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dean, Robert
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:03 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Memory?

2GB will stop the swapping and thus make WDSC faster.

The only use case where I haven't seen a benefit is RPG-only development.

Just to clarify: if your machine is already heavily loaded, then more memory
will always help.  It's easy to find out by using the Task Manager
(Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see what your current memory usage is.

I just checked my primary workstation which also serves all my internal web
applications.  Right now it is running WDSC, three Apache servers, Python,
PHP, Tomcat, MySQL, and a Visual Basic monitor program.  I have two Client
Access sessions running and a whole bunch of network connections, including
a VPN.  Add an Internet Explorer session into the mix and I'm still not
breaking the 1GB memory limit (though I'm close at 950MB).

Fire up the WebSphere Test Environment, though, and I immediately jump into
the land of 2GB; just starting the web application server costs about 100MB,
and the more you do the more you use.

So, if you're doing WDSC and some green screen, you're fine in 1GB.  But
realize that even that can be misleading: I have an Internet machine that I
use primarily for email and desktop publishing.  Right now it's running
Outlook, Word and a couple of instance of IE and with all the other crap on
it it's running at 783MB.

So, as is usual in these sorts of discussion, your mileage may vary.

Joe