(Apologies to the list for the previous subject...)

wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

   3. Re: WDSCI-L Digest, Vol 4, Issue 562 (Buck)

understand and use. Now I have to do it in Java, I think. I'm still poking through the documentation, which is extensive :-/
Well, now, this has got me thinking... Since IBM's ObjectReXX went open-source, I wonder how easily it could be used in this area. I need to get back into it now to see how it could be tied in perhaps with a basic Java "wrapper".

I spent several lunch hours and some time after hours to try to get the JLpex Java language equivalent of my Code400 ReXX macro running and have not been successful.

Note that I was considering "ObjectReXX" rather than simple ReXX. There are reasons for going the oRexx route. (I'd love to get oRexx working on my AS/400!)

Anyway, here's an example page that touches on interaction between Java and oRexx:

http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/resources.html

Search down for "The Augsburg Version of BSF4Rexx" and "Camouflaging Java as ObjectREXX" for example. Google shows numerous hits for the two languages together. When I see references to the two interacting, it catches my attention because I'm pretty good with ReXX but 'only an egg' with Java.

And ReXX has been on AS/400s from the start, so there's a chance that developers have had experience with it. oRexx can handle standard ReXX pretty much the same as the oRexx structure, so it _required_ to do much differently. And the object orientation provides a good introduction to some OO techniques at the same time.

If Java can be used simply as a gateway/wrapper, then perhaps creating oRexx macros might turn out to be very easy.

Tom