Any chance that there will be a WDSC version released for Linux desktop?

First of all, I want to point out that Linux is not a desktop. Linux is a kernel. There are lots of completely different desktops that use the Linux kernel.

That means that IBM can't just "support Linux" they have to support lots and lots of different environments. Linux software usually solves this problem by providing you with source code that configures itself based on the various tools you have installed, and then compiles itself as appropriate. For the very popular distributions, pre-compiled versions may be provided to save you the time of re-compiling.

IBM, however, doesn't want to make WDSC open source. So they'd have to maintain every desktop environment.

The other alternative is to make it pure Java. But I think the language parsing and verifying are basically the ILE compilers with only certain options compiled in. And they're, therefore, still written in C. I suspect that IBM doesn't want to make them open source or maintain Java versions of them.

If they COULD make it open source or pure Java it would be a VERY big help to me. I want to run it on FreeBSD. (Though, a Linux version might work running under the Linuxulator on FreeBSD -- it's a Linux environment that lets you run Linux binaries on FreeBSD, much like the way PASE lets you run AIX binaries on System i).

An open source version could probably be tweaked to run on MacOS pretty easily, too. (Much of MacOS is based on FreeBSD).

Unfortunately, tools like WDSC and iSeries Navigator force people to stay with Windows. That's not good for the System i platform. I want an i. I don't want Windows. Why should I be forced to use Windows to use an i?