Things are indeed somewhat more complex inside Eclipse.

1.- LPEX and its parsers, set of actions and commands, etc. are expandable. Both the user guide & reference and the API documentation are available in WDSC (e.g., enter
  help
or
  help api
on any LPEX command line).

2.- LPEX ships with a few coding examples.  Enter
  ?examples
on any LPEX command line.

3.- There are two recent articles on extending LPEX. They were written with another product in mind (WDz), but things should be pretty similar for WDSC:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0607_casey/0607_casey.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0605_casey/0605_casey.html

Buck wrote:
I spent several lunch hours and some time after hours to try to get the JLpex Java language equivalent of my Code400 ReXX macro running and have not been successful.

Took a wicked wrong turn thinking it would be like Code (edit a source file, try it.) Tried creating a standalone Java file but could not compile it. Classpath, of course. I'll be darned if I know what JAR files I should try to add to my classpath. There's lpex.jar in 5 directories, and jlpex13.jar in 4 more.

Then I went the Plug-in Development route (taking my own advice to use WDSC natively, and not like a Code400 emulator.) Man is there a lot of stuff to do. Needless to say, when it came time to test my creation, I started a new runtime workbench and could not for the life of me figure out how to get a command line to invoke my new command. I edited a Java file and when I tried an iSeries perspective, it wanted to create a new workspace. So I did that, opened an iSeries member and got a command line! Of course, the message says that my new class isn't found.

I haven't the time to devote to this right now. Maybe when I'm on vacation I can try again, when I have a large block of time to devote to this. From the perspective of a typical RPG programmer, this seems far too cumbersome compared to writing a ReXX macro in Code. Lots of things to learn before I call it hopeless though. Just no time at the moment.

The good news is that I stumbled on a tutorial on the runtime workbench main panel that does plug-in development, so I won't have to try to adapt the zSeries tutorial :-)

   --buck