From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 12:50 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Protect programs in certain library's

I would imagine that the problem is that the developers have *ALLOBJ
authority.

Or if not *ALLOBJ, then they currently have at least *CHANGE to the
production source files.

There's nothing WDSC or Aldon/Implementer/Turnover can do in that case.

However, if you're using Aldon/Implementer/Turnover you don't need
*CHANGE authority to the production source files, the
Aldon/Implementer/Turnover profile needs it but your developer profile
doesn't.

If you have *ALLOBJ, I suggest getting rid of it ;-)  I found it easiest
to create a new profile for my use that had *ALLOBJ and remove the
*ALLOBJ from my normal profile.  Since the authority to the production
source is set PUBLIC *USE, this allows me to browse the production
source without worry.  In fact, if I try and open the production source
from WDSC in edit mode, I get a dialog telling me I'm not authorized and
asking if I want to open it in browse mode.

Given that you use Aldon, it should be easy to convince management that
the production source should be secured.

Convincing all the developers to give up *ALLOBJ is another story.  But
at least you could give it up yourself so you'' have the protection
you're looking for.  Then run the Aldon reports to see what sources have
been changed outside the package.  Once management realizes that a CMS
that isn't used 100% of the time is almost worthless, and you're use to
working without *ALLOBJ, perhaps the other developers can be talked into
giving it up.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
--
iSeries Systems Administrator / Developer Mitsubishi Electric Automotive
America