|So far I am not impressed with the quality of WDSC.  It seems to have
|been released as a pre-beta version with many "GOTCHA's" such as the
|compile errors in SQLRPGLE and the conversion problem with embedded SQL
|and the fact that you can't create a DSPF only maintain it the same for
|PRTF.

Bill,

As others have tried to point out, your first complaint about SQLRPGLE
compiles is not a problem with WDSC.  The reason you only notice it in
WDSC is that you are trying to use a feature that is not available at
all in SEU, namely the autmatic display and location of compile errors,
which does work very well for non-SQL programs.  In SEU, you still have
to do a text search through your compile listing, whether the source is
SQL or RPGLE.

It is the nature of how the SQL precompiler works on the Iseries which
will not allow this feature to work in WDSC for SQL programs.

A tip: get the free WDSC plugin from Softlanding.  It will enable you to
view your spooled files in RSE, so at least you can do the same text
search of your SQL compiles and find your errors without having to open
a green screen session.

As for your second complaint about DSPF,  you can't work with display
files in SEU any better than you can in RSE.  On the green screen, you
have to use SDA.  Likewise, from RSE, you can launch CODE, which I find
a lot easier to work with than SDA.  It is just as easy to launch Code's
screen designer from RSE as it is to launch SDA from SEU.

I think perhaps you have a predisposition to be skeptical of WDSC, and
this causes you to perceive each molehill you encounter during the
learning curve to be a mountain.

I started using WDSC about a year ago, and have found it very useful.
Along the way, I ran into some little issues like yours as well, but
each time I assumed it was because there was something I didn't know
about how to use the tool properly, and this has generally turned out to
be correct.  The archives of this newsgroup have almost always been
sufficient to point me in the right direction, and when they haven't,
asking a question here has always done the trick.

Greg