From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of James O'Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:30 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Date field value in SRC file.

Hi All,

We have a code generation tool that reads a skeleton COBOL source member
and writes out the contents to a new source member, adding in member
specific lines as required. This results in the source member not having
any date values for the lines that came from the skeleton.  When we do
any subsequent edits of this source member, another tool checks the
SRCDAT value of each line to see if it has been changed and add in a
tag.
We have not previously had a problem with the empty SRCDAT value as
STRSEU used to change the blank date to zeroes, which our code could
handle.
However, we are now using the WDSC editors to amend the code and we get
a decimal data error in the program doing the date checks, as the
graphical editor does not update the SRCDAT value of lines with a blank
date.

Before anyone states the obvious, yes, we could change our code to write
a valid date into the source line,  but its annoying having to amend
something that has been working happily for over 5 years.
Before we go down this route, we are just checking if there is an
alternative. Is this an Editor property that can be changed (I couldn't
find one to do with dates) or is it something that needs to be fixed in
WDSC?

regards

James O'Sullivan
Senior Technical Consultant
email: josulli4@xxxxxxx
Office: +44 1252 536681
Fax: +44 1252 534022
www: midrange.csc.com

Based at: Tower 2, Floor 2, Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot,
Hampshire, GU11 1PZ

CSC Corporation Limited: No. 1812179.
All registered office addresses: Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road,
Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 1PZ. Registered in England.

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use
of e-mail for such purpose.