At 02:25 AM 6/7/2006, you wrote:

-snip-

> How much of the green screen to GUI conversion effort will VARPG handle?

You can copy exactly a green screen panel in VARPG gui designer and this
part it's fine but remember that green screen applications are program
driven, VARPG applications are events driven.

I think the distinction between event-driven and program-driven is overstated in general. F12 is an event, as far as I am concerned, no different from clicking on the Exit button. Almost every display application is event-driven, as they usually have a front-end loop waiting to see what "event" occurs, whether page up/down or a function key. This has its analog in Windows in the message handling loop that is at the core of every Windows app.

This could lead to a discussion of object orientation, as well, which I think many "legacy" developers use in principal but do not know that they do.

JMHO
Vern