Hi Peter,

Excellent question!  (and so was Dave's regarding the same thing)

The outline view for RPG does a verify in order to populate itself.  You
will probably have noticed that on large programs with many external
references (/COPYs, external files etc) refreshing the outline view may
take some time.  This is because the iSeries must be accessed for any
information that may not be in the cache.  (Note that if your default for
Verify is to refresh cache, then refreshing your outline view is also
slower, due to the need to access the iSeries for information)
Because of this need to access the communications layer for RSE, and the
length of time required to perform an actual refresh/verify, the outline
view for RPG cannot be refreshed automatically.  However, its understood by
the WDSC folks that this restriction is less than desirable, and we are
looking at ways to improve the outline view.

As far as I understand it, the DDS outline view only needs to scan the open
member/file, so dynamic refresh is possible and less time consuming.
I have less experience with the DDS outline view, so if I've said something
wrong, maybe some other WDSC folks will correct me.

Hope this helps!

Violaine Batthish
WebSphere Development Studio Client, IBM Toronto Lab

You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing
more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. - Antoine de
Saint-Exupéry