wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/09/2006 08:39:00 AM:

> Great instructions, the initial mirroring is downloading as I write
> this.
>
> One question, I noticed the following:
>  Downloading feature archives for com.ibm.orca.product.updater_6.0.1.0h
>  Downloading plug-in archives for com.ibm.orca.product.updater_6.0.1.0h
> Command failed. Please check log file C:\Documents and
> Settings\cwilt\IBM\ration
> alsdp6.0\workspace\.metadata\.log for details.

In this case you are probably OK because you likely already have those
updates installed (they are for the product updater).

This process is susceptible to the same problems as the updater itself,
meaning for whatever reason people seem to get errors like this.  Perhaps
the IBM HTTP server gets overloaded, or goes down?  The update process is
intelligent, so you can just rerun the batch file whenever and it will
just pull down what is not already present.

> Also, can Softlanding's RSE Extensions be pushed out via the local
> update site I'm setting up?

Probably, but given how small it is, it is likely easiest to just keep a
copy of the installer on your network.  The problem is that it is not
installed or managed via the Rational Product Updater.  I have not found
any documentation as to how you can add additional products into it to let
it manage them.  Instead, you can use the update service that it is build
into Eclipse/WDSC via Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install.  This
is essentially the same thing that product updater uses and this will work
today, except that it will be contacting our update site, not your
internal one.  To make it look at your internal one, you would have to
enter the URL of the policy.xml file within the Install/Update preferences
of WDSC.  The problem with that is that WDSC comes with that field filled
in with some local file from IBM.  I have not wanted to mess with that and
change it to a different value, so I just do not use this feature for
plugins other than WDSC.  I suspect the policy.xml file in WDSC is just
something that prevents the updates to WDSC from being applied within WDSC
so that you have to use the Product Updater instead.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email
Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.