From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:04 AM
To: Wdsci-L
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Rational Updater

I am getting to _really_ hate this abysmal apology for a piece of
software....

I am trying to update my WDSC to the RAD 6.0.1 level from a local copy of
the update files.

Should be simple ... Just follow the instructions.  Hah!

As instructed I use Preferences -> Set Update sites and locate the policy
file.  There is then a brief wait and it tells me it can't connect to the
site.  Funny I thought it was on the hard drive.  Check instructions and it
mentions that I can ignore the "can't connect" message if I am on RPU 6.0.1.
I thought I was but maybe not ... Bring up the About Dialog and sure enough
at the top it says 6.0.0.4!

Locate the instructions to update to RPU 6.0.1 and go through all the steps.
Nothing seems to happen.  OK - check instructions.  It says that if I am
connected to the internet that RPU will detect required updates to itself
first.  OK - connect to internet.

It doesn't find any RAD updates - but (after 5+ minutes) tells me it has
found the WDSC 6.0.1 bits - but can't install them because RAD 6.0.1 is not
present!   Grrrrrrr - it seems to have ignored the local stuff when the
internet was connected.

OK.  Check the RPU again - and this is where it gets really confusing ... At
the _top_ of the window it says 6.0.0.4 _but_ inside the window it says the
following:

About IBM Rational Product Updater 6.0.0.4

IBM Rational Product Updater  6.0.0.4
Installed on:  Oct 18,2005 4:52PM

IBM Rational Product Updater 6.0.1
Installed on:  Oct 21, 2005 10:24PM

So according to this I _do_ have 6.0.1 installed - so why can't I ignore the
"can't connect" stuff and have it search locally as it says I can?

I'm just completely lost at this point.  Anyone got any ideas?

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com
www.RPGWorld.com