From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Craig Pelkie
Sent: 02 March 2006 09:14
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] MS SQL Server JDBC connections

Chris:

The following may or may not be useful to you. I did some
testing/development with the MSJDBC driver last year. The following is an
excerpt from an article that was published in the "iSeries 400 Experts
Journal".

Begin quoted material:

I had a tremendous amount of difficulty with the host name part of the URL.
In fact, when I started testing, I used the TCP/IP address of the Windows
2000 server (10.1.1.89) instead of the host name. I was profoundly
distressed to see that my response time to fetch 91 rows from SQL Server was
always over 30 seconds. That really didn't seem right, as I have been
developing .NET applications on the same server, and routinely have
subsecond response times. Although I realize that Microsoft and Java have
not, in the past, enjoyed a harmonious relationship, I couldn't bring myself
to believe that Microsoft would purposely make its own JDBC driver as
lethargic as my example showed.

As a last ditch effort, I changed the TCP/IP address to the TCP/IP host
name, and added the host name for the SQL Server PC to my development PC's
HOSTS file (I do not have a DNS server in my small LAN). To my surprise, the
JdbcTest1s class now delivered subsecond response time, which I expected for
such a small result set. I realize that practically all other development
shops have a DNS server and use host names instead of actual TCP/IP
addresses. My point is that by developing and testing with a small test
class, I was able to more readily isolate the cause of the problem.

Moving the test to the iSeries

Now that I had a test class that I was happy with, I exported it from WDSCi
(in Jar file JdbcTest.jar) to an IFS directory on my iSeries. I also copied
the three JDBC Jar files to their own directory in the IFS. I was now ready
to test the JdbcTest1s class running directly on the iSeries. The class can
be easily run from a command entry panel, using the Run Java (RUNJVA)
command. Before running the command, I used the Work with Environment
Variable (WRKENVVAR) command to set the CLASSPATH evironment variable.

For my class path, I specified the IFS directory that contained my
JdbcTest.jar first, followed by the three entries for the JDBC driver Jars.
Keep in mind that the default class path separator character for the iSeries
is the colon (:) character.

I also repeated my slow-performing test on the iSeries. I tested the class
using the TCP/IP address first, and again observed the dismal performance. I
then added the SQL Server host name to my iSeries HOSTS file (using the
CFGTCP menu, option 10). After adding the name to the HOSTS file, the
performance was still bad. I then remembered that I needed to set the host
name search priority on the iSeries to *LOCAL (CFGTCP, option 12). At that
point, the JdbcTest1s class perked up and once again delivered subsecond
performance, running on the iSeries. I now had the iSeries working directly
with SQL Server, although it was running Java.

End quoted material

Craig Pelkie