Hi Chris
This explanation is too brief and hence inaccurate but here goes, I am
sure someome will correct my mistakes.
CCSID 5026 is Japanese.  37 is Latin.   You need to open your Computing
101 books and really understand that computers only store bits ie. 1's and
0's.  There are/need-to-be methods/schemes/strategies to convert these 1's
and 0's into something people can read.  Thats what Coded Character Set
IDs (CCSID) do.  An assumption made by most people is that the glyphs you
read on an screen are a 'BYTE' made up of '8 BITS'.  In many cases this
assumption is true but not always as CCSID 5026 has patterns of 8 bit and
16 bit bytes. (Win 2000 is a UNICODE system with UTF-8 and UTF-16 , and I
believe UTF has a variable bit pattern). Another assumption is that all
the glyphs you see in CCSID 37 will be rendered in other CCSIDs,  this
assumption is not correct as 5026 does not render lower case Latin.  Your
SEU session is probably a Client Access configuration and I would guess
that the Client Access configuration is 1399  Japanese Latin Extended, as
in my experience this is the only CCSID that shows both Japanese and Latin
Lower case but then this is not always a valid way to show Japanese
characters that use the katakana (or is it kanji) 8-bit Japanese
characters.

MS Windows does a good job with its UNICODE implementation and it renders
glyphs from many languages without you needing to reconfigure your PC
(even MS Windows has limitations but I cant explain here).  Although the
AS400 supports UNICODE (in a fashion) its default mode of operation is
totally reliant on a particular CCSID.  It expects the PC to be configued
with a CCSID that matches the AS400 CCSID. When you work in a particular
CCSID and you edit a different CCSID the AS400 tries very hard to help you
and maps one CCSID to the other but usually this cannot be done 100%
perfectly. So you cannot successfully edit CCSID 37 then switch to edit
CCSID 5026 without reconfiguring your PC (this means rebooting).  I have 2
PCs on my desk , one configued in Japanese and one for US english.

Perhaps now you can answer your question of changing CCSIDs of files, can
you imagine changing a file full of Japanese character encoding pattens to
US English, even if you succeed to change the CCSIDs the resultant glyphs
are meaningless. So I have not been able to solve your problem but I hope
I have given you some idea of what your problem is.

Frank Kolmann