I'll have a look at your findings. The problem seems to be mainly with the way in which the Java language handles uppercasing in different locales.

I thinks you'll get the expected results when you check the "Case sensitive" checkbox in the find dialog (in which case there are no case changes done during the search).

robbin.knapp@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On a different but related note, searching for 'ß' (the German "sz
ligature") will find not only 'ß' but also 'ss' and vice versa. This may be
a feature, but there is no way to search for only 'ß' or only 'ss' AFAIK.
Not only does a search for 'ss' find 'ß', a search for a single 's' also
finds 'ß'. This can all be lived with, but as soon as you start replacing
instead of just searching, you have to be careful. Searching for 'ss' or
'ß' marks the 'ß' and the character after it, no matter what character it
is. That means both of theses characters are also replaced. Major error.

Also, searching for any character on a line with 'ß' in it after the 'ß'
does not work. For example, I don't like the vertical bar ('|') characters
in comments of many source files I deal with, so I search and replace all
'|' with nothing, effectively deleting this character wherever it is found.
However, any '|' where 'ß' is before it on a line is not found and
replaced.

For example:

      // Grund:    Bei Materialien die exakt abgebucht werden muß die  |

This is a real example because new German spelling rules dictate for
example that 'muß' now be spelled 'muss'.