From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Bruce Guetzkow
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 1:08 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] RE: Plugins Similar to Prodata DBU

Richard:

<snip>
I am currently evaluating Prodata's GUI DBU database access utility for
use
by our other WDSc users.  I would appreciate it if anyone could
recommend
similar plugins to compare it to.
</snip>

There is a (free) product called Quantum DB which I believe is available
from www.SourceForge.net.  Be sure to download the version that
corresponds to your version of Eclipse (2.0/3.0).  I used it under 2.0.
It establishes its own perspective and uses an SQL interface.  Unlike
DBU (which I also have, green-screen and GUI) Quantum does not directly
support modifying data in the file.  You would use the SQL Update
statement to change data.

There is also a product called Frog for IBM iSeries DB2.  This is NOT a
WDSc plugin, but is similar in function to Quantum.

The only thing I don't like about the DBU GUI WDSc plugin is that all it
really does is provide a link to start up their GUI product (which is
stand-alone).  The GUI does not create its own perspective or perform
anything within the WDSc framework.  Having said that, I have used DBU
(green-screen) for many years and am very happy.  The GUI is nice, but
not as intuitive as it could be.

Hope that helps,
--Bruce Guetzkow