Thanks,

It is pretty hard to sell this product to my fellow developers if it will not
do everything and more than the green screen. If they have to go back for one
thing they will give up and go back for everything.

>>> xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx 10/06/05 4:24 PM >>>
Hi Chris,

By the current design of the WDSC Debugger, the scenario you described will
not work.  We will look into it to see if we could do anything about it.
Thanks.

Thanks,

Xuan Chen,  Problem Determination Tools for iSeries
(905) 413-3769 T/L 969-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

             "chris beck"
             <cbeck@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             wdsci-l-bounces@m                                          cc
             idrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [WDSCI-L] Debug a running
             10/06/2005 04:35          program
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

That works, but I do not want to do any additional I/O.

For example: I have a program in error, and I want to look at what the
variables before I answer the message.

You can do this in green screen by starting a service job, and then
starting debug on the program.

Chris Beck

>>> xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx 10/05/05 3:15 PM >>>
Chris,

Try the following:

Click on the drop down beside the Bug icon, and click on Debug ... to bring
up the launch configuration dialog.
Click on "iSeries : Debug job" on the left pane, and click on New to create
a launch instance for attaching to an iSeries Job.
Use the Browse... button to search for the interactive or batch job you
want to debug (you could input the filter information before click on the
Browse... button)
Don't specify any program in the table, and make sure the Step into
checkbox is checked.
Click on Debug button.  You will get a message asking you to start your
application in iSeries.  Then you could do you I/O operation in 5250 and
the debug session should be started.

Or you could use Service Entry Point feature to start the debugger.
Right click on the program/service program (or expand it, and go to the
module or procedure level and right click) you want to debug in RSE, and
choose Debug (Service Entry) -> Set Service Entry Point to set a SEP.
Call your program in your interactive 5250 session, or submit the batch
job.  When the program/module/procedure where you set you SEP to is loaded,
a debug session will be started.  You could then set breakpoint on the line
you are interested (right before or after the exfmt statement, etc).

Thanks,

Xuan Chen,  Problem Determination Tools for iSeries
(905) 413-3769 T/L 969-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

             "chris beck"
             <cbeck@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             wdsci-l-bounces@m                                          cc
             idrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [WDSCI-L] Debug a running program
             10/05/2005 03:54
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Can anyone tell me how to debug a running interactive or batch program?  If
I have a program sitting on a exfmt or a error and try to start
iseries:debug job, it never starts.

Thanks

Chris Beck