Robbin:

<snip>
We once inherited a nice little tool from one of our former external
software developers called Scan Message File (SCNMSGF). You enter the
message file, library and text to search, and it displays all the
messages
that contain the text, one on each line.

Anyone know how to accomplish the same thing in WDSC?

Please don't say I should write a plug-in. I want to save time
developing
applications, not spend it developing tools :-)

</snip>

You should write a plugin!  <g>

OK, seriously...

If the tool displays a green screen, you need to start the RSE server
(STRRSESVR) on a 5250 session and dedicate that session to results of
interactive commands executed from WDSc.  IMHO this defeats the purpose
of using a GUI IDE, but that is a topic unto itself.

If the tool creates a spooled file report, you can create a User Action
to execute the command.  From there you can use the plugin from
SoftLanding to view the spooled file in a text editor window.

I wish there was a better solution (maybe someone else has already found
one) but to my knowledge there is no way to execute an interactive
command from within WDSc (with results displaying on a 5250 screen)
other than the above.  IIRC V4.0 had a built-in 5250 session of some
kind (I never used it) but it was scrapped with future releases.  It
seems to me that IBM could/should find a way to redirect 5250 output
back to a WDSc window/view.

Perhaps Jon could add this to his wish list?

Hope this helps,
--Bruce Guetzkow