Phil,

Could you attach to the job and debug?  You could try by the steps below:
. Go to 5250 (not the one tied to the connection in WDSc), and find out the
job number of it.
. Bring up the debug launch config dialog, and create a new iSeries Job
configuration.
. Input the job number, program name (or service program name).  Make sure
the step into is check.
. Click on debug.

See if there is a debug session comes up (you will get a message asking you
to start your application in the iSeries if the debug session could startup
correctly).
Click ok on the message.

If you could not start debug using this way either, please send me the
screen capture of the debug view (with all the toolbar buttons).  I will
look more into it.

Thanks,

Xuan Chen,  Problem Determination Tools for iSeries
(905) 413-3769 T/L 969-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

             phillip.groschwit
             z@xxxxxxxxx
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         Websphere Development Studio Client
             idrange.com               for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/23/2005 12:47                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [WDSCI-L] Debugging error

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

I searched google with this: "Error: (316) Communications failure
site:midrange.com"

which returned this:

http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l/200502/msg00026.html

What I am doing is simple:

* STRRSESVR at a 5250 commandline
* Go into debug perspective
* Select Debug As iSeries Interactive Application

* Complete the "What to debug" and "How to start" panels
* Click Apply, then Debug

* I get a popup window that says "Communications Failure"; I click OK.
* In the upper left pane after "State:" displays the text about the Error
(316).

Phil

                      Xuan Chen

                      <xuanchen@xxxxxxx        To:       Websphere
Development Studio Client for iSeries
                      com>                      <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      wdsci-l-bounces@m        Subject:  Re: [WDSCI-L]
Debugging error
                      idrange.com

                      06/23/2005 12:20

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Websphere

                      Development

                      Studio Client for

                      iSeries

Phil,

Could you please describe your problem in more details, or could you please
forward me the link for the similar problem you mentioned in this
newsgroup?  Thanks.

Thanks,

Xuan Chen,  Problem Determination Tools for iSeries
(905) 413-3769 T/L 969-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

             phillip.groschwit
             z@xxxxxxxxx
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/23/2005 11:54          [WDSCI-L] Debugging error
             AM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

I found a post for this same problem in the archives, but no resolution.

I'm trying to debug an interactive pgm which has service pgms.  When I try
to debug, I get this error:

State: <running> Connection: iSeries(TM) (my_as400:23972) Error: (316)
Communications failure
(I replaced the actual host name with "my_as400".)

After this happens, there is no way to get rid of it without restarting
WDSC.
The RSE Communications server is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil